- Core Benefits (relevant to each different consumer target group as they have different needs / motivations) – The key is to embellish the benefits as something of value to the reader or a list of your benefits will leave them cold and they will click away.
- Challenges (for each different consumer – what concerns them? e.g. destruction of the planet, rising fuel costs) – It’s important not just to outline the challenges but proffer knowledge, solutions and commentary about and around the challenges in your marketplace.
- FAQ’s – That can be used to answer questions and reduce strain on customer service
- Industry information (around each area of influence or your services – You can produce content or be a gateway for others’ content
- Current news items affecting each of the target customer profiles
- Content provided by influencers, bloggers, tweeters and so on that can be legitimately recycled (i.e. retweeted or by pointing others at the content)
The key media types one might incorporate in the strategy are:
- Text – Short updates and information/questions etc (tweets, answers, posts)
- Text – Blog Posts and articles, white papers, polls (created by you and others)
- Video – to support the above or to be video blogs in their own right
- Audio – as above
- Photo – as above
Content is too long a subject for a simple blog. However, we believe that companies, including SME’s, need to have a content strategy for their target audiences. That means thinking about what they would be interested in, where they would find the info, who is going to provide the content and how often. Then it’s a case of putting it into practice.